Frankie Edgar finally had “The Answer” to Gray Maynard in Saturday’s UFC 136 main event, as Edgar retained the UFC lightweight title with a fourth-round TKO of “The Bully” in another “Fight of the Year” contender in Houston, Texas.
Like their second fight that ended in a draw in January, Edgar was dominated and nearly finished by the challenger Maynard in the opening round, but narrowly survived again. After regaining his composure in the second, Edgar attacked with more combinations and leg kicks in the third and hurt Maynard following a takedown attempt in the fourth.
Edgar chased Maynard down near the fence and dropped him with a right before forcing the referee to step in after a barrage of unanswered punches on the ground.
Edgar improves to 14-1-1 after avenging his loss and draw to Maynard, who suffered his first defeat to fall to 10-1-1.
UFC 136 also saw featherweight champion Jose Aldo top Kenny Florian, Chael Sonnen submitting Brian Stann to likely earn a rematch with Anderson Silva, Nam Phan outpointing Leonard Garcia in their featherweight rematch, and Joe Lauzon stunning lightweight contender Melvin Guillard in just 47-seconds.
- Frankie Edgar (c) def. Gray Maynard via TKO (punches) – Round 4, 3:54
UFC Lightweight Championship
- Jose Aldo (c) def. Kenny Florian via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 49-46)
UFC Featherweight Championship
- Chael Sonnen def. Brian Stann via submission (arm triangle) – Round 2, 3:51
- Nam Phan def. Leonard Garcia via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Joe Lauzon def. Melvin Guillard via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 0:47
- Demian Maia def. Jorge Santiago via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Anthony Pettis def. Jeremy Stephens via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Stipe Miocic def. Joey Beltran via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Darren Elkins def. Tiequan Zhang via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-27)
- Aaron Simpson def. Eric Schafer via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Mike Massenzio def. Steve Cantwell via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
Pictured: Frankie Edgar