Chael Sonnen returned to the Octagon at UFC 136 for the first time in 14 months, but showed no rust as he dominated Brian Stann on the ground before finishing him with an arm triangle to likely earn a rematch with middleweight champion Anderson Silva.
Sonnen began his post-fight interview with “Anderson Silva, you suck” before calling for the rematch to take place at the UFC’s Super Bowl weekend event in February. In pro wrestling fashion, Sonnen said if he wins he wants Silva to leave the division he’s reigned since 2006, while vowing to leave the UFC if he loses again.
Lightweight contender Melvin Guillard was stunned by Joe Lauzon in the first fight on UFC 136′s pay-per-view main card, tapping to a rear naked choke in just 47-seconds to lose a likely shot at the UFC lightweight title that was on the like in the UFC 136 main event rematch between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard.
Also on the main card, Nam Phan outpointed fellow featherweight Leonard Garcia in an exciting unanimous decision to avenge his controversial loss in December.
More UFC 136 recaps:
- UFC 136 Results: Frankie Edgar Comes Back to KO Gray Maynard, Retain Lightweight Title
- UFC 136 Results: Jose Aldo Retains Featherweight Title Over Kenny Florian
The UFC 136 main card results were:
- Chael Sonnen def. Brian Stann via submission (arm triangle) – Round 2, 3:51
- Nam Phan def. Leonard Garcia via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Joe Lauzon def. Melvin Guillard via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 0:47
Pictured: Chael Sonnen