twitter google

Kalib Starnes Comments On UFC Release

Recently-released former UFC middleweight Kalib Starnes has issued a statement regarding his UFC 83 performance, as well as his “requested” release from the organization:

“Starnes told The Fight Network that he requested his release from the remainder of his UFC contract, which had been carried over from his appearance on “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series and ensured him three fights per year.”

“[UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva told me that it usually takes a couple of days for their legal department to complete the paperwork and that he would send me all of the paperwork to indicate that my contract has been dissolved,” Starnes said. “Later on in the afternoon, after I had spoken to Joe Silva, a story was released by some reporter from Yahoo! in which Dana White said that he had released me from my contract. I received no documentation on that, and it came after I asked to be released.”

Despite a total unwillingness to engage against Nate Quarry, Starnes says he has incurred quite a few injuries from the bout:

Right now, I have a broken foot [that] I sustained with the first kick I threw in the fight,” Starnes said. “My leg is purple and black from my knee up, I have a black eye, a sprained jaw, and he’s questioning my desire to fight? If that isn’t enough to satisfy him and the crowd, I can show them the medical report. I can barely walk. [Quarry] totally destroyed my thigh with those kicks. I’m sure a lot of people would rather see me suffer a traumatic brain injury and be rendered unconscious. That’s too bad. If that’s what they want, they’re paying the wrong guy $10,000 to get his brain smashed in.”

Kalib also addressed Dana White’s negative comments, and had a few choice words of his own for the UFC President:

“In my opinion, it was inappropriate to make public statements regarding my character and my future and so on the way that he has, especially without having the courage and the respect to call me up and speak with me personally,” Starnes said. “All of these comments come from a man that has never had a fight in his entire life who claims to be the ultimate authority on fighting and courage. I couldn’t be happier than to be released from the most oppressive contract I’ve ever been under in my life.

Dana White wouldn’t stand and trade with a guy [like Quarry] who had an 80 or 90 percent knockout ratio with injuries like I had Saturday night,” Starnes said. “He wouldn’t cross the street for $10,000. I don’t have anything to prove to anybody. I’m not about to stand there and get smashed to pieces. After I knew my foot was broken, I was trying to back up and work off the jab and keep moving so I didn’t get knocked out.”

While Starnes’ statement offers some answers concerning his shameful performance, I still can’t feel much sympathy for the guy. Sorry Kalib, but there are people out there who paid good money to see you fight that don’t even make $10,000 in a year, let alone in one evening. If you broke something during the bout and couldn’t continue then tap out or call it quits during the round break. But don’t run around for 15 minutes and waste our pay-per-view.

Follow MMAFrenzy