Undefeated welterweight prospect Ryan Ford (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) submitted UFC veteran Pete Spratt (17-11 MMA, 3-4 UFC) in the main event of Maximum Fighting Championships 15 “Rags to Riches” Friday night in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Late in an opening round in which Spratt seemed to have the upper hand, Ford secured a takedown before the bell sounded on the opening frame. The round quickly finished and Spratt heard the bell and stopped fighting while referee Herb Dean and Ford both failed to hear the round-ending signal and Ford landed a pair of hard, uncontested shots to Spratt’s head. Dean soon realized the round was over and separated the fighters but the damage from the elbows was irreversible and Spratt was visibly shaken by the strikes. Despite being given additional time to recover Spratt was unable to overcome the affects of the strikes and was submitted via rear naked choke late in the second round.
According to The Fight Network Spratt has already been offered a rematch, though Ford expressed his displeasure at facing Spratt again:
“He was given the choice to continue. I choked him out. I’d have no problem doing the rematch, but why would I? I dominated him for most of the fight. Is that what Pete’s going to keep doing? He fought [Anthony] Waldburger and got choked out, so five weeks later he gets to fight him again. What is a rematch with Pete going to do for me? Nothing.”
MFC 15 QUICK RESULTS
- Ryan Ford def. Pete Spratt via submission – Round 2, 4:01
- Jesse Forbes def. Chris Camozzi via submission – Round 3, 1:45
- Mike Maestas def. Ryan Heck via unanimous decision
- Ryan Jimmo def. Craig Zellner via submission – Round 1, 3:20
- Ryan McGillivray def. Jason Zorthian via submission – Round 1, 4:10
- Jason Kuchera def. Allan Hope via TKO – Round 2, 1:11
- Gavin Neal def. Joshua Groves via submission – Round 2, 1:05
- Dave Nippard def. Carlos Espinoza via TKO – Round 1, 0:08
- Keto Allen def. Doug Page via submission – Round 1, 0:41
- Mike Tubbs def. Alec Pelentsov via unanimous decision