UFC on Versus 4 took place on Saturday (June 26) in Pittsburgh and did not disappoint. While most of the focus was on Nate Marquardt’s late removal, the replacement main event between heavyweights Cheick Kongo and Pat Barry did more than enough to make up for the late change.
Cheick Kongo Survives to KO Pat Barry
In what was an impressive display of heart, Cheick Kongo landed a move of last resort by knocking out Pat Barry in the main event on Versus. Barry had Kongo reeling after dropping him twice, but Kongo managed to recover enough to catch Barry coming in and knocked him out cold. Kongo’s KO of Barry is a likely candidate for both Knockout and Comeback of the Year and marked Kongo’s first fight since having career threatening surgery on his back.
Charlie Brenneman Dictates Story
Charlie Brenneman made the most of his last-second shot at Rick Story and pulled an impressive upset of the rising prospect. Brenneman used superior wrestling to ground Story and landed enough ground and pound to steal the first two rounds. Story mounted his best offense in the third round when he was able to land a backmount triangle, but he was unable to finish the submission. While both fighters took the fight on short notice, Story clearly struggled more after having prepared for non-wrestlers in Marquardt and his win three weeks ago over Thiago Alves.
Matt Brown Outlasts John Howard
Neither Matt Brown or John Howard came through on their promise to put on a “Fight of the Night” in a sloppy three round decision. Both fighters desperately needed a win to keep their jobs, but it ended up being Brown who was able to come away with the victory. Howard struggled with his gas tank throughout the bout and will likely now be released after losing three straight.
Matt Mitrione Pummels Christian Morecraft
Matt Mitrione outstruck Christian Morecraft from start to finish to kick off the Versus-televised main card. Mitrione dropped Morecraft in the first and appeared to be en route to a quick finish before Morecraft fell into a shot and took Mitrione down to recover. In the second, Mitrione recovered after a few early takedowns by Morecraft and landed a three punch combination that dropped Morecraft, then walked away before the ref even stepped in. Mitrione improved to 5-0 and would have likely won Knockout of the Night had it not been for Kongo’s comeback.
The complete UFC on Versus 4 results were:
- Cheick Kongo def. Pat Barry via KO (punches) – Round 1, 2:39
- Charlie Brenneman def. Rick Story via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Matt Brown def. John Howard via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Matt Mitrione def. Christian Morecraft via KO (punches) – Round 2, 4:28
- Tyson Griffin def. Manny Gamburyan via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-29)
- Javier Vazquez def. Joe Stevenson via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Joe Lauzon def. Clint Warburton via submission (kimura) – Round 1, 1:58
- Rich Attonito def. Daniel Roberts via unanimous decision (29-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Charles Oliveira def. Nik Lentz via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 1:48
- Ricardo Lamas def. Matt Grice via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:41
- Michael Johnson def. Edward Faaloloto via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:42