Dave Herman and Jon Olav Einemo earned tonight’s “Fight of the Night” bonus for their entertaining scrap. The fight made up for what it lacked in technique with excitement. Multiple back and forth momentum swings happened before Herman managed to finish the Norwegian in the second round.
Sam Stout earned “Knockout of the Night” for his brutal KO of Yves Edwards. Stout countered the Bahamian fighter and landed clean, putting him with out any follow up strikes. Stout stated after the fight that he was excited to finally get a knock out for the first time 2007.
Chris Weidman earned “Submission of the Night” for his victory over Jesse Bongfeldt. Weidman landed a standing guillotine choke shortly before the end of the first round. Weidman is now 2-0 in his UFC career and will likely be facing a step up in competition for his next fight.
Other News from the Post Fight Press Conference
- When asked about whether Kenny Florian was in line to be the next opponent for UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, UFC President Dana White said “more than likely.” However, with Aldo’s return uncertain and championship fights tentatively announced for UFC 134 through UFC 137, nothing is set in stone.
- UFC President Dana White said Michiro Omigawa would receive his win bonus for his controversial decision loss to Darren Elkins.
- Junior dos Santos has emerged as the early favorite for his title fight with UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez according to some betting sites.
- Attendence was 14,685 with a live gate of $2.8 Million.
- When asked about the end of Vancouver’s two year trial period for MMA, White was confident that the sport would face no issues for future events.
- When asked about plans for the winner of the Strikeforce Grand Prix possibly getting a title shot with the UFC heavyweight champion White replied simply “not yet.”