UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre dominated challenger Jake Shields to retain the 170-pound title by unanimous decision in a luckluster main event to finish an otherwise memorable UFC 129 event on Saturday night in Toronto.
UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo also retained the 145-pound belt with a unanimous decision over Mark Hominick in his Octagon debut, while Randy Couture suffered a front kick KO to Lyoto Machida in what is expected to be the hall of famer’s final bout.
The pay-per-view main card also included wins by Ben Henderson and Vladimir Matyushenko, while the record-setting event, which drew more than 55,000 fans, got off to a strong start with an exciting preliminary card highlighted by wins by Rory MacDonald and Jake Ellenberger.
The official UFC 129 results were:
- Champ Georges St-Pierre def. Jake Shields via unanimous decision (50-45, 48-47, 48-47)
UFC Welterweight Championship
- Champ Jose Aldo def. Mark Hominick via unanimous decision (49-45, 48-46, 49-46)
UFC Featherweight Championship
- Lyoto Machida def. Randy Couture via KO (front kick) – Round 2, 1:05
- Vladimir Matyushenko def. Jason Brilz via KO (punches) – Round 1. 0:20
- Ben Henderson def. Mark Bocek via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Rory MacDonald def. Nate Diaz via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)
- Jake Ellenberger def. Sean Pierson via KO (punches) – Round 1, 2:42
- Claude Patrick def. Daniel Roberts via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ivan Menjivar def. Charlie Valencia via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:30
- Jason MacDonald def. Ryan Jensen via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 1:37
- John Makdessi def. Kyle Watson via KO (spinning back fist) – Round 3, 1:27
- Pablo Garza def. Yves Jabouin via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 4:31
Pictured: Georges St-Pierre