Nogueira fended off a number of early takedowns by the NCAA Division I wrestling champion, but Davis finally found success in the second and kept Nogueira on his back for the later rounds while unleashing ground and pound when possible.
With a close first round also going his way, Davis earned unanimous 30-27 scores from the judges to remain unbeaten and improve to 9-0, while Nogueira falls to 19-5 with his second-straight loss.
In the UFC Fight Night 24 co-main event, Anthony Johnson used his size advantage to dominate fellow welterweight slugger Dan Hardy, as he took “The Outlaw” down at will and punished the Brit with ground and pound to earn a unanimous decision victory.
With the win, Johnson jumps to 9-3 following a loss more than 16-months ago, while Hardy drops to 23-9 with his third loss in a row.
The Spike-televised UFC Fight Night 24 main card also saw Amir Sadollah force DaMarques Johnson to tap to ground and pound in the second, while Chan Sung Jung scored the first twister submission in UFC history over Leonard Garcia to avenge his loss in 2010’s “Fight of the Year.”
On the UFC Fight Night 24 prelims, Michael McDonald’s hardfought decision over Edwin Figueroa stole the show, while Mike Russow, Mackens Semerzier, John Hathaway, Christian Morecraft, Johny Hendricks, Aaron Simpson, and Nik Lentz also earned wins.
The complete UFC Fight Night 24 results were:
- Phil Davis def. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Anthony Johnson def. Dan Hardy via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Amir Sadollah def. DaMarques Johnson via submission (strikes) – Round 2, 3:20
- Chan Sung Jung def. Leonard Garcia via submission (twister) – Round 2, 4:59
- Mike Russow def. Jon Madsen via TKO (doctor stoppage – eye) – Round 2, 5:00
- Mackens Semerzier def. Alex “Bruce Leroy” Caceres via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 3:18
- John Hathaway def. Kris McCray via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Michael McDonald def. Edwin Figueroa via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Christian Morecraft def. Sean McCorkle via submission (standing guillotine) – Round 2, 4:10
- Johny Hendricks def. TJ Waldburger via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:35
- Aaron Simpson def. Mario Miranda via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Nik Lentz def. Waylon Lowe via submission (guillotine) – Round 3, 2:24
Pictured: Phil Davis