Challenger Jon Jones stopped light heavyweight champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in Saturday’s UFC 128 main event to win the 205-pound title and become the youngest champion in UFC history with a third-round TKO victory.
Jones dominated Rua from the opening bell, beating him up with ground and pound and picking him apart on the feet, and continued the attack over the second frame before putting the champion away with a final onslaught midway through the third.
In the UFC 128 co-main event, Urijah Faber salvaged a unanimous decision over Eddie Wineland in his Octagon debut to likely earn a shot at bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz and possible Ultimate Fighter coaching gig.
In featured UFC 128 matchups, lightweight contender Jim Miller pushed closer to a 155-pound title shot with a third-round TKO of WEC import Kamal Shalorus, while his brother Dan Miller dropped a unanimous decision to middleweight contender Nate Marquardt.
Heavyweights kicked off the UFC 128 pay-per-view, as Mirko Cro Cop bloodied Brendan Schaub through two rounds only to be knocked out cold by the heavyweight prospect midway through the third.
On the UFC 128 prelims, Luiz Cane and Erik Koch scored knockout victories, while Edson Barboza, Mike Pyle, Gleison Tibau, Joseph Benavidez, and Nick Catone each earned decision wins.
The complete UFC 128 results were:
- Jon Jones def. champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 2:37
UFC Light Heavyweight Championship
- Urijah Faber def. Eddie Wineland via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jim Miller def. Kamal Shalorus via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 2:15
- Nate Marquardt def. Dan Miller via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Brendan Schaub def. Mirko Cro Cop via TKO (punch) – Round 3, 3:24
- Luiz Cane def. Eliot Marshall via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:15
- Edson Barboza def. Anthony Njokuani via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mike Pyle def. Ricardo Almeida via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Gleison Tibau def. Kurt Pellegrino via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Joseph Benavidez def. Ian Loveland via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Nick Catone def. Costantinos Philippou via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Erik Koch def. Raphael Assuncao via KO (punch) – Round 1, 2:32
Pictured: Jon Jones