After going undefeated for nearly 10 years, Fedor Emelianenko suffered his second-straight loss on Saturday as the heavyweight legend was dominated by Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva in the main event of “Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva.”
Following a close first round where he used well-timed combinations to avoid Silva’s size advantage, Fedor was quickly taken down to start the second and Silva then dominated him on the ground, including near finishes with ground and pound and submissions, but “The Last Emperor” survived.
However, Fedor wouldn’t continue to the third and final round as his right eye was swollen shut from the second round attack and the doctor ruled him unable to continue.
With the win, Silva advances to the semifinals of Strikeforce’s heavyweight grand prix, where he’ll meet the winner of Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum from April 9.
After the loss, Fedor hinted that his MMA career could be over, saying “Maybe it’s the last time. It may be time to leave.”
In the other heavyweight quarterfinal featured on the Showtime-televised card, Sergei Kharitonov handed Andrei Arlovski his fourth-straight loss with a first-round TKO in his Strikeforce debut and now awaits the winner of April 9’s meeting between Josh Barnett and Brett Rogers.
Saturday’s event from the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J. also featured first-round wins by Shane Del Rosario, Chad Griggs, and Valentijn Overeem, who earned reserve spots in the heavyweight tournament should a fighter be unable to continue.
The official “Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva” results were:
- Antonio Silva def. Fedor Emelianenko via TKO (doctor stoppage) – Round 2, 5:00 (heavyweight GP quarterfinal)
- Sergei Kharitonov def. Andrei Arlovski via KO (punches) – Round 1, 2:49 (heavyweight GP quarterfinal)
- Shane Del Rosario def. Lavar Johnson via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:31 (heavyweight GP reserve)
- Chad Griggs def. Gian Villante via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:49 (heavyweight GP reserve)
- Valentijn Overeem def. Ray Sefo via submission (neck crank) – Round 1, 1:37 (heavyweight GP reserve)
- John Cholish def. Marc Stevens via submission (kneebar) – Round 2, 3:57
- Igor Gracie def. John Salgado via technical submission (arm triangle) – Round 2, 3:04
- Sam Oropeza def. Don Carlo-Clauss via submission (strikes) – Round 1, 4:10
- Josh LaBerge def. Anthony Leone via TKO (cut) – Round 1, 5:00
- Jason McLean def. Kevin Roddy via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)