Melvin Guillard continued his climb up the lightweight rankings with a first-round knockout of Evan Dunham in the main event of UFC Fight for the Troops 2 on Saturday in Fort Hood, Texas, which aired on Spike TV to benefit the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.
Dunham scored an early takedown, but Guillard quickly returned to his feet and put his striking on display, knocking Dunham down once before finishing him off with a barrage of punches and knees, including one that replays showed to be illegal but had little influence on the finish.
Guillard (27-8-2) has now won four-straight since joining trainer Greg Jackson to get into the title hunt, while Dunham (11-2) has suffered back-to-back losses after a 4-0 start in the UFC.
In other featured action, Matt Mitrione remained unbeaten with a first-round TKO of Tim Hague, Mark Hominick stopped George Roop in the opening round to earn a shot at featherweight champ Jose Aldo, and Pat Barry and Matt Wiman kicked off the main card with decision wins.
The complete UFC Fight for the Troops 2 results were:
- Melvin Guillard def. Evan Dunham via TKO (punches and knees) – Round 1, 2:58
- Matt Mitrione def. Tim Hague via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:59
- Mark Hominick def. George Roop via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:28
- Pat Barry def. Joey Beltran via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Matt Wiman def. Cole Miller via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Yves Edwards def. Cody McKenzie via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 4:33
- DaMarques Johnson def. Mike Guymon via verbal submission (body triangle) – Round 1, 3:22
- Rani Yahya def. Mike Brown via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Waylon Lowe def. Willamy Freire via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Charlie Brenneman def. Amilcar Alves via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Chris Cariaso def. Will Campuzano via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Pictured: Melvin Guillard