Fedor Emelianenko and his M-1 Global management said at a Tuesday press conference in Moscow that they plan to seek “strict drug testing” for Strikeforce’s upcoming heavyweight grand prix after opening round opponent Antonio Silva and Josh Barnett previously tested positive.
“We want fair competition for everyone, so that’s why I will ask the commission to perform a strict drug testing,” M-1’s Vadim Finkelstein said (via Low Kick). “Fedor is not using any kind of substance to enhance his performance, and will be ready for any kind of testing. So if the commission decides to follow our suggestion, we’ll be ready.”
“Our organization paid a heavy price after the cancellation of the fight between Josh Barnett and Fedor. We did a lot of promotion for this fight, which in the end did not take place. That’s why as a promoter and manager, I don’t want this to happen ever again.”
Fedor and Silva square off in the main event of Strikeforce’s Feb. 12 event in New Jersey, while Barnett faces Brett Rogers in the opening round and would face Emelianenko if both advance to the finals.
Pictured: Fedor Emelianenko