Yushin Okami earned a unanimous decision over fellow middleweight contender Nate Marquardt in the main event of Saturday’s UFC 122 in Oberhausen, Germany to cap off a luckluster card that lost it’s co-headliner between slugger Alessio Sakara and Jorge Rivera at the last-minute.
Okami used a pair of takedowns in the opening round to grab an early lead, then weathered Marquardt’s offensive attempts in the later rounds while connecting with punches of his own to claim the decision with scores of 29-28, 30-27, and 29-28.
Okami improves to 26-5 with his third-straight win and will challenge the winner of UFC 126’s main event between champion Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort, while Marquardt misses out on another title shot after suffering his second loss in three bouts.
Germany’s Dennis Siver submitted TUF 9 runner-up Andre Winner in the new UFC 122 co-main event after Sakara was forced off the card hours earlier with flu-like symptoms, while the main card also included decision wins by Amir Sadollah, Krzysztof Soszynski, and Duane Ludwig.
The complete UFC 122 results were:
- Yushin Okami def. Nate Marquardt via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Dennis Siver def. Andre Winner via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 3:37
- Amir Sadollah def. Peter Sobotta via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Krzysztof Soszynski def. Goran Reljic via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Duane Ludwig def. Nick Osipczak via split decision (28-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Vladimir Matyushenko def. Alexandre Ferreira via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:20
- Pascal Krauss def. Mark Scanlon via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Kyle Noke def. Rob Kimmons via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 1:33
- Karlos Vemola def. Seth Petruzelli via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:46
- Carlos Eduardo Rocha def. Kris McCray via submission (kneebar) – Round 1, 2:21