WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo continued his streak of dominant wins as he retained the 145-pound title with a second-round knockout of Manny Gamburyan on Thursday in the main event of WEC 51 in Broomfield, Colorado.
After a slow start to the opening round, Aldo finished the frame with some of his patended leg kicks before taking control in the second and finishing Gamburyan off with a barrage of punches on the ground.
Aldo improves to 18-1 and continues his climb up the pound-for-pound rankings with his eighth-straight WEC win, while Gamburyan falls to 11-5 with his first loss at 145.
In the WEC 51 co-headliner, lightweight contender Donald Cerrone outpointed rival Jamie Varner over three exciting rounds to even their series with a unanimous decision win.
In other main card action, former bantamweight champ Miguel Torres got back on track with a win over Charlie Valenia, George Roop scored a highlight-reel head kick KO of “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung, and Mark Hominick topped Leonard Garcia.
WEC 51’s prelims included the successful debut of undefeated Chinese prospect Tiequan Zhang, while former champ Mike Brown rebounded with a first-round TKO.
The complete WEC 51 results were:
- Champ Jose Aldo def. Manny Gamburyan via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:32
WEC Featherweight Championship
- Donald Cerrone def. Jamie Varner via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Miguel Torres def. Charlie Valencia via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 2:25
- George Roop def. Chan Sung Jung via KO (head kick) – Round 2, 1:30
- Mark Hominick def. Leonard Garcia via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Tiequan Zhang def. Pablo Garza via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 2:26
- Mike Brown def. Cole Province via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:18
- Chris Horodecki def. Ed Ratcliff via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 30-27)
- Diego Nunes def. Tyler Toner via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Antonio Banuelos def. Chad George via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Demetrious Johnson def. Nick Pace via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Pictured: Jose Aldo