Former UFC heavyweight champ Tim Sylvia wore down veteran Paul Buentello before scoring a second-round knockout to win the first-ever PWP heavyweight title in the main event of Saturday’s “War on the Mainland” pay-per-view in Irvine, California.
In his first fight since being released by the WEC, Jens Pulver suffered his sixth-straight loss as he tapped to a guillotine from featherweight Diego Garijo in just 68-seconds.
Also on the card, Terry Martin edged Jorge Ortiz, Tony Lopez stopped Jason Lambert to win the light heavyweight title, and Matt Horwich subbed former UFC contender Thales Leites to win the middleweight title.
The official “PWP: War on the Mainland” results were:
- Tim Sylvia def. Paul Buentello via knockout (strikes) – Round 2, 4:57
Vacant PWP heavyweight championship
- Terry Martin def. Jorge Ortiz via split decision (28-29, 30-28, 29-28)
- Tony Lopez def. Jason Lambert via knockout (strikes) – Round 2, 1:49
Vacant PWP light heavyweight championship
- Matt Horwich def. Thales Leites via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 4, 0:24
Vacant PWP middleweight title
- Diego Garijo def. Jens Pulver via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 1:08
- Gustavo Machado def. Rick Reeves via split decision (29-28, 27-30, 30-27)
- Erin Beach def. Joao Silva via unanimous decision
- Cleber Luciano def. Todd Willingham via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:18
- AJ Matthews def. Sean Choice via submission (strikes) – Round 2, 3:54
Pictured: Tim Sylvia