Highly touted light heavyweight Jon Jones delivered on his hype as the UFC’s top prospect as he scored a first-round TKO of veteran Vladimir Matyushenko on Sunday in the main event of UFC on Versus 2 in San Diego.
Jones quickly tripped Matyushenko to the ground, pinned his arm, and unloaded powerful elbows to earn the stoppage just 1:56 into the opening round.
“I trained the hardest I could possibly train,” Jones said after the fight. “I knew Vladimir would be my toughest test. I trained my butt off, and things went really well.”
With back-to-back wins putting a December DQ loss to Matt Hamill behind him, Jones, now 11-1, jumps into the division’s elite and will meet a fellow contender the next time he steps into the Octagon.
“My goal is to become one of the best in the world, if not the best in my weight class,” Jones said. “Whoever the UFC gives me, I’ll be ready for it.”
In the UFC on Versus 2 co-headliner, middleweight contender Yushin Okami stuffed takedown after takedown and used a third-round knockdown to earn a split decision over Mark Munoz.
Also on the main card, Jake Ellenberger closed John Howard’s eye with ground and pound to score a third-round TKO, while former PRIDE champ Takanori Gomi returned to form with a 64-second knockout of Tyson Griffin.
In preliminary card action, Jacob Volkmann, Matt Riddle, Igor Pokrajac, Brian Stann, Charles Oliveira, and Rob Kimmons earned wins.
The complete UFC on Versus 2 results were:
- Jon Jones def. Vladimir Matyushenko via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:56
- Yushin Okami def. Mark Munoz via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Jake Ellenberger def. John Howard via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 3, 2:21
- Takanori Gomi def. Tyson Griffin via KO (punch) – Round 1, 1:04
- Jacob Volkmann def. Paul Kelly via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Matt Riddle def. DaMarques Johnson via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:29
- Igor Pokrajac def. James Irvin via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 2:29
- Brian Stann def. Mike Massenzio via submission (triangle choke) – Round 3, 3:10
- Charles Oliveira def. Darren Elkins via submission(armbar) – Round 1, 0:41
- Rob Kimmons def. Steve Steinbeiss via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Pictured: Jon Jones