Although things quickly went south for Vitor Belfort when he took on Kelvin Gastelum, the legendary fighter is calling for a rematch, following the latter’s loss on Saturday.
Gastelum and Belfort faced off this past March at UFC Fight Night 106, and “The Phenom” was finished in the opening round. Following the event, however, Gastelum was flagged by USADA for marijuana, and the fight was overturned to a no-contest.
Well, since then, Belfort has earned a decision win over Nate Marquardt, and this past Saturday, Gastelum was submitted by Chris Weidman. Since UFC on FOX 25, Belfort has posted the comments below on Instagram:
I was supposed to fight @derekbrunson last year and again on September 9th. Twice UFC offered me this fight and weeks later says that he is not available. I don’t know what that means… After that they offered me a beginner as a opponent to fight in Canada… I don’t know what is happening, but if @derekbrunson can’t fight. @kgastelum let’s erase the no contest from our cards. I don’t care about your fight result tonight. I’m ready to fight!!! Let’s do it again! Eu deveria ter lutado com @derekbrunson ano passado e depois estava marcado para lutar com ele em 9 de Setembro no Canadá. Semanas depois o UFC me diz que ele não está “disponível” outra vez. Não sei muito bem o que isso quer dizer… Depois disso me ofereceram um iniciante para lutar no Canadá… Não sei o que está acontecendo com o @derekbrunson , mas se ele não pode lutar de novo. @kgastelum , vamos apagar o no contest do nosso cartel. Não me importa o resultado da sua luta hj. Eu estou pronto!! Vamos fazer essa luta outra vez!!!
Now, the chances of this fight happening seem pretty, pretty slim at this point. One, what would Gastelum have to gain by fighting Belfort again? Two, since the fight was pretty one sided, the UFC likely has no interested in putting this bout together, since there probably isn’t much fan interest (other than Belfort boosters of course). And three, following UFC on FOX 25, Gastelum has said he intends to move back to welterweight.
It will be interesting to see, however, who Belfort is tapped to fight. Leading up to his bout with Marquardt, the 40 year-old said the fight would be his last with the UFC, but shortly before the scrap, Belfort changed gears. Clearly talks are ongoing to book the Brazilian star’s next bout.