Not long after it was confirmed that Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor are going to box, Chris van Heerden posted video of him sparring with the latter, and now the pro-boxer’s revealed why.
On Wednesday, it was announced that Mayweather and McGregor are going to throw hands on August 26th, at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The news quickly buzzed around the world, and then when van Heerden tweeted out footage of him sparring with McGregor, it also made plenty of headlines. The reason being that the footage shows van Heerden landing repeatedly on McGregor.
Well, why did van Heerden decide to post the footage when he did? The South African boxer appeared on ESPN recently, and while doing so, he had this to say about that very question (quote via MMA Fighting):
“Because people are tweeting and talking and telling me that Mayweather has his hands full landing on Conor McGregor,” Van Heerden said. “I’m a professional fighter — boxer. And I’m standing up for the sport. I was just making it very clear that, don’t be ridiculous. If I could land, don’t tell me Floyd Mayweather is not gonna land.”
“I’m not a Conor McGregor sparring partner,” Van Heerden also said during the interview. “I was not part of the camp. I wasn’t paid to help Conor McGregor. I’m not a sparring partner, I’m a world-rated fighter. I helped him, because I saw the platform. I knew the Conor McGregor-Mayweaher thing was gonna pull off, because the energy, the vibes, it was gonna happen. It was gonna happen. And I took advantage.”
There you have it. It should also be noted that when McGregor’s team posted footage of the sparring session last year, van Heerden was quick to point out that the footage was edited, and then he apologized for doing so.
Van Heerden also credited McGregor for being a “phenomenal athlete” in the aforementioned interview, and for “ruling the UFC”.