Now that the UFC’s decided to punt a planned fight between Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre, Dana White believes the latter will return to the division where he was once champ.
Earlier this year, the UFC raised eyebrows, and the ire of many middleweight contenders, when it announced GSP would face the middleweight champ Bisping. The UFC and Bisping wanted to have the fight take place in July, but St-Pierre needed more time to get ready. Then, after the former welterweight champ announced that he couldn’t fight until after October, White announced Yoel Romero, and not GSP, will fight Bisping next.
So what’s the plan now? Well, following UFC 211 on Saturday, White was asked about GSP. After the UFC President mentioned St-Pierre fighting at 170, he was asked if that was in fact, the Canadian star’s plan. White said this as a follow up:
“Well, I would imagine so. I don’t know if he wants to move up in weight and fight these murderers at 185. I think he liked the Bisping fight. I think he saw that as a fight that he thought was winnable, and saw Bisping as a guy that’s beatable. Everybody wants to fight Bisping. Jedrzejczyk is probably going to call him out next.”
It is kind of hard to imagine GSP electing to move up to middleweight to face, say, a contender like Luke Rockhold or “Jacare” Souza. St-Pierre has talked about only taking big fights in his comeback run, and doesn’t sound interested in working his way into a title fight.
White was also asked if GSP – Conor McGregor could take place, and he noted anything’s possible. White also, however, said he doesn’t think St-Pierre’s interested in fighting Anderson Silva, which is a bout that’s long been discussed.