twitter google

Dana White Still Says Jon Jones Won’t Headline in Next Bout…

Kelsey Mowatt

UFC

There’s likely more interest in Daniel Cormier – Jon Jones II than ever before, but Dana White’s still saying the latter won’t headline in his next bout.

Cormier defended the light-heavyweight title this past weekend at UFC 210, by submitting the ridiculously dangerous Anthony Johnson in round two. Since Jones defeated Cormier back in 2015, and because he never lost the 205 title while fighting, the expectation is that “Bones” will challenge the champ next.

While that might be the case, apparently the fight will not go down in the main event. After Jones was pulled from UFC 200 last year, which was the latest of several scandals tied to the star, White said “Bones” wouldn’t headline next. During the post-fight presser on Saturday, White repeated that position (quote via MMA Junkie):

“If Jones fights, Jones is going to be a co-main event anyway” the UFC President said, when asked about the possibility of Cormier – Jones II taking place at UFC 213, July 8th.

“I’d put just everybody ahead and make them the main event,” White added. “I just don’t have the faith right now that the fight’s going to happen.”

White also reported that he doesn’t want to spend “millions of dollars” promoting a fight that gets cancelled. Now, it remains to be seen if White changes his mind on this, but if he doesn’t, would it be that surprising? Considering everything that has gone down with Jones in recent years?

Main event or not, hopefully this fight gets booked for the not too distant future.

Follow MMAFrenzy

Search