After Nurmagomedov was forced to drop out of their highly anticipated fight, due to medical issues arising from his weight cut, it was reported that Ferguson was still going to receive his show money. According to figures disclosed to the Nevada Commission, Ferguson was set to receive $250,000 to show.
But, since then, Ferguson has told MMA Junkie that he received less than half of that sum. In addition, “El Cucuy” said this:
“I think they should take care of their fighters a little bit more, the ones that really put in their time and effort and really grind for them, because I’m one of those dudes, man. I’m one of those grinders, and I’ve never bashed my company.”
“It was like a slap to the face,” Ferguson added. “My training expenses were a lot larger than any other fight I’ve ever done because this was supposed to be the biggest fight of my career. So now I’m sitting here, and it’s like, what is my worth to the UFC? Like, do I not fight enough? Do I not bleed enough for them? It’s going through my head right now, because I didn’t lose.”
Now, the report cites an anonymous, UFC official, who claims that Ferguson still received six figures in compensation, and that the pay was nearly double of what he would have received for a non-title fight.The official also says Ferguson and his team were informed on Friday what he was going to be paid. In addition, the official also noted that the UFC is not contractually obligated to pay a fighter, when their opponent fails to make weight and has to withdraw.
Chances are, however, that none of that is going to change Ferguson’s mind on this. Pay aside, hopefully Ferguson – Nurmagomedov gets rebooked in the not too distant future.