Recently the expectation’s been that Jose Aldo will fight Max Holloway next, but now the featherweight champ’s raising thousands of eyebrows, by saying he could be fighting for the interim 155 title next. Yes. That’s right….
Holloway stopped Anthony Pettis at UFC 206 earlier this month, and in doing so, secured the interim 145 belt. After the win, Holloway said he was going to talk with the UFC first, before he commits to a February 11th fight with Aldo. Holloway said he’s concerned he’s going to give up his Holidays and time with his family, and that Aldo will drop out of the bout. The latter, however, said he’s fighting someone at UFC 208, no matter what.
Well, Aldo spoke with MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani recently, and during the interview, the renowned fighter claimed that Holloway has passed on the February 11th bout. Aldo also had this to say, when asked again if he thinks he’ll face Holloway at UFC 208:
“No, the Brooklyn fight is not happening. I now expect and believe I will be fighting in early March. Either March 3 or March 4, I can’t remember. I believe they will soon announce an interim lightweight title fight with me. They’ve been trying to find me an opponent, and — surprise, surprise — at least one has already turned down the fight against me. I’m waiting to see who they will find.”
“You gotta ask the UFC that,” Aldo added, when asked who turned dow the bout. “They’ve asked me not to say anything. I won’t say who it is because it’s a surprise. A guy we never thought would turn it down turned it down, because his father didn’t think it was good. I’m tired of people turning down fights. I want to put some pressure so they’ll take the fight.
Now, considering Khabib Nurmagomedov’s father has long been on his coaches, you could conclude here he’s the fighter Aldo’s referring to. If what Aldo has reported is accurate, then there must be a lot going down behind the scenes that we’re not aware of.