twitter google

Mickey Galls Credits CM Punk For Wanting Second UFC Bout, But Thinks it Could Hurt “Legitimacy of the Sport”

Kelsey Mowatt

Mickey Gall

Increasingly it’s looking like CM Punk is going to fight for the UFC again, and the man who quickly submitted him in his pro debut, isn’t sure that’s a good idea…

That man, of course, is Mickey Gall, who submitted Punk inside of three minutes at UFC 203 in September. After the bout, UFC President Dana White said that the pro-wrestling star “probably” wouldn’t fight in the UFC next. Since then, however, Punk has reported he’s very confident he’ll return to the Octagon. Punk’s coach, Duke Roufus, has also relayed that the fighter is in talks with White.

Well, Gall is preparing to face Sage Northcutt this Saturday at UFC on FOX 22. But, during a recent appearance on “The MMA Hour”, Gall was asked for his opinion, on whether Punk should fight in the UFC next. Here is some of what the 24 year-old had to say (quotes via MMA Fighting.com):

“…If he fights a UFC caliber guy, I think they’ll do it in the same way. So I think in hindsight, he probably should’ve taken some regional fights, amateur fighters, smaller shows. But I think that’s ballsy of him to want to come back.”

“I don’t know. I mean, he’s definitely going to help your pay-per-view and he brings that other audience,” Gall said. “But for kinda the legitimacy of the sport, I think it may water it down a little bit.”

When Punk was signed by the UFC, there were plenty of hardcore fans and pundits who expressed this very same concern. So, certainly those voices haven’t gone away, considering what went down at UFC 203. But, that card was one of the year’s best in PPV sales, so it wouldn’t be too surprising if Punk’s given another shot. Especially when you consider that the new ownership group paid $4 billion to acquire the promotion…

Follow MMAFrenzy

Search