In recent months, Holloway has made it crystal clear that he wants to fight McGregor again. The two battled back in 2013, and McGregor won the bout via unanimous decision. Since then, McGregor has gone on to win the UFC’s featherweight and lightweight titles, and has become one of the biggest names in combat sports. But, Holloway has also been on a tear, as “Blessed” has won nine straight fights.
Up next, Holloway is booked to fight Anthony Pettis for the interim 145 title on December 10th. But, during a recent appearance on “The MMA Hour”, Holloway said this about Mr. McGregor (quote via Bloody Elbow):
“Maybe if everything goes good and I take care of Pettis, and we get the road to Aldo and I take care of Aldo, maybe it makes [McGregor] want to come back down. I’m only turning 25 this Sunday, so there’s this thing called growing. Now I’m growing, I getting bigger.”
“So if it’s at 155, it’s going to be at 155, if it’s at 170, it’ll be at 170, wherever it goes. If he wants to fight, even if he said he wants to fight heavyweight, I will go fight him. It is what it is. If he wants to fight, that’s the fight to make.”
There you have it. While chances are McGregor – Holloway II won’t happen anytime soon, since the latter is just 25, as he noted, it’s certainly probable the two could battle once more in the coming months.
First things first, however, as getting past Pettis won’t be easy. Then, if Holloway locks up the interim belt, he’ll face the undisputed champ Jose Aldo in 2017.