Lightweight contender Kenny Florian remained in the hunt for another title shot after scoring a third-round submission of former PRIDE champ Takanori Gomi in the main event of Wednesday’s UFC Fight Night 21, which aired live on Spike TV from the Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina ahead of the debut of The Ultimate Fighter 11.
Florian tapped a stellar standup strategy, highlighted by a crisp jab, to pick apart Gomi over the fight’s first two frames, but when Gomi began connecting with punches of his own in the third, Florian scored an easy takedown and passed to mount, before finally taking Gomi’s back and forcing him to quickly tap to a rear naked choke.
After suffering a loss to lightweight champ BJ Penn in August, Florian has now earned back-to-back victories to improve to 14-4 with an 8-1 mark over his last nine fights, while Gomi falls to 31-6 after losing his UFC debut, the third loss in his past five bouts.
In the UFN 21 co-headliner, The Ultimate Fighter 10 winner Roy Nelson, despite giving up nearly a foot in height, needed just 39-seconds to knockout Stefan Struve after a UFC-fight power outage briefly delayed the bout.
Also on the main card, Jorge Rivera battered Nate Quarry in the opening round before earning a TKO victory 29-seconds into the second frame, while Ross Pearson outpointed Dennis Siver in a standup battle to earn a unanimous decision win.
The UFN 21 prelims were highlighted by Gleison Tibau’s first-round TKO of outmatched Caol Uno, Gerald Harris’ late first-round stoppage of newcomer Mario Miranda, and Yushi Okami’s standup destruction of Lucio Linhares, which forced a second-round stoppage due to cuts, while Andre Winner, Jacob Volkmann, Nik Lentz, and Charlie Brenneman earned decision victories.
The complete results for UFC Fight Night 21 were:
- Kenny Florian def. Takanori Gomi via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 3, 2:52
- Roy Nelson def. Stefan Struve via KO (punches) – Round 1, 0:39
- Jorge Rivera def. Nate Quarry via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 0:29
- Ross Pearson def. Dennis Siver (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Andre Winner def. Rafaello Oliveira via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Jacob Volkmann def. Ronys Torres via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 30-27)
- Nik Lentz def. Rob Emerson via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Gleison Tibau def. Caol Uno via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:13
- Yushin Okami def. Lucio Linhares via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 2, 2:47
- Gerald Harris def. Mario Miranda via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:49
- Charlie Brenneman def. Jason High via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
Pictured: Kenny Florian