At Saturday’s post-UFC 111 press conference, UFC President Dana White said that heavyweight contender Cain Velasquez will wait for a title shot against the winner of July’s matchup between returning champ Brock Lesnar and interim title-holder Shane Carwin, while Junior dos Santos will fight again before getting a title shot of his own.
“Cain’s waiting in the wings now,” White said. “Cain’s probably going to wait for the next shot. (Junior) Dos Santos will not. Dos Santos will fight again.”
Last week, White said that both Velasquez and dos Santos were in line for title shots, but shot down a matchup between the pair.
While not confirmed, potential opponents for dos Santos likely include Frank Mir, who suffered a first-round KO to Carwin on Saturday, or the winner of Wednesday’s Roy Nelson-Stefan Struve bout.
Pictured: Cain Velasquez