Heavyweight main card winners Cheick Kongo and Junior dos Santos earned the top salaries for Sunday’s UFC on Versus 1 in Broomfield, Colorado, according to the official salaries today released by the Colorado Boxing Commission.
Kongo earned an event-high $110,000 for his victory over fellow heavyweight Paul Buentello ($40,000), while the rising heavyweight contender dos Santos scored the card’s second-best salary, nabbing $70,000 with a first-round knockout of Gabriel Gonzaga ($67,000).
The total disclosed payroll for the event was $713,000, while the card reportedly earned a $568,000 live gate.
Six fighters took home a higher salary than main event winner and top light heavyweight prospect Jon Jones, who earned $40,000 for first-round TKO of fellow headliner Brandon Vera, who received $60,000.
The UFC on Versus 1 salaries were:
- Jon Jones ($40,000 – includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Brandon Vera ($60,000)
- Junior Dos Santos ($70,000 – $35,000 win bonus) def. Gabriel Gonzaga ($67,000)
- Cheick Kongo ($110,000 – $55,000 win bonus) def. Paul Buentello ($40,000)
- Alessio Sakara ($42,000 – $21,000 win bonus) def. James Irvin ($20,000)
- Clay Guida ($50,000 – $25,000 win bonus) def. Shannon Gugerty ($9,000)
- Vladimir Matyushenko ($56,000 – $28,000 win bonus) def. Eliott Marshall ($10,000)
- Darren Elkins ($12,000 – $6,000 win bonus) def. Duane Ludwig ($12,000)
- John Howard ($26,000 – $13,000 win bonus) def. Daniel Roberts ($6,000)
- Brendan Schaub ($20,000 – $10,000 win bonus) def. Chase Gormley ($10,000)
- Mike Pierce ($16,000 – $8,000 win bonus) def. John Paulino ($6,000)
- Jason Brilz ($18,000 – $9,000 win bonus) def. Eric Schafer ($13,000)
In addition to the salaries listed above, which are simply those disclosed by the promotion to the athletic commission and not representative of a fighter’s total earnings, Jones, dos Santos, Howard, and Guida each took home $50,000 “fight night” bonuses for their performances at UFC on Versus 1.