Although nothing official’s been announced yet, according to recent comments from Jon Jones, we may see the renowned fighter back in the Octagon a lot sooner than 2018…
As you know, the former light-heavyweight was supposed to fight Daniel Cormier last month at UFC 200. But, just days before the bout USADA announced that Jones had been flagged for a banned substance, and he was yanked from the card. Not long after, it was reported that the 29 year-old star had been flagged for estrogen blockers. Jones has vehemently denied knowingly taking any type of banned substance.
Well, unless Jones can launch a successful appeal, the fighter is facing a two years suspension. But, this past weekend, “Bones” posted the video below and made this comment (quote via MMA Mania.com):
“I’m sure you guys are curious about what’s going on with this USADA situation,” said Jones. “Obviously, I can’t get into it because it’s still pending but what I can say is that we have found out lots of really good news and I am expecting to be back in the Octagon really soon.”
So, as noted above, it remains to be seen how this plays out. But you would think Jones wouldn’t make public statements like this, unless he and his team think there’s a chance they can prove he didn’t deliberately take PEDs.
Jon Jones just dropped this message on Instagram and says he has good news & expects to be back in the Octagon soon. pic.twitter.com/Q6U8GFBSTo
— Chamatkar Sandhu (@SandhuMMA) August 15, 2016