Dominick Cruz claimed the WEC bantamweight title on Saturday in the main event of WEC 47 after former champion Brian Bowles was forced to bow out of the headliner with a broken hand after two hard fought rounds.
The bout capped off “WEC 47: Bowles vs. Cruz,” which took place at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio and aired live on Versus.
Bowles struggled to mount any offense after breaking his right hand in his first punch of the fight, and after being bloodied by the elusive Cruz, who used effective footwork to dodge Bowles’ attempts while tagging him with counters, was forced to call it quits after the second frame.
Cruz improves to 15-1 with his sixth-straight victory, while Bowles will have to wait for his hand to heal before looking to rebound from his first career loss, which dropped him to 8-1.
In the WEC 47 co-headliner, bantamweight contender Joseph Benavidez dominated former title-holder Miguel Torres, eventually gashing him open midway through the second round before securing a guillotine that forced Torres to tap, sealing the upset.
Also on the main card, veteran Jens Pulver likely fought for the final time in his hall of fame career after suffering a first-round submission to Javier Vazquez, while LC Davis and Bart Palaszewski also picked up wins.
The WEC 47 preliminary card featured several highlight reel stoppages, including Scott Jorgensen’s31-second guillotine of Chad George and Anthony Pettis’ head kick KO of Danny Castillo in the opening round. Fredson Paixao and Ricardo Lamas also scored first-round wins on the prelims, while Chad Mendes earned a unanimous decision in his WEC debut.
Featherweights Leonard Garcia and George Roop fought to a split draw on the undercard after Roop lost a point in the final round for a low blow.
The complete WEC 47 results were:
- Dominick Cruz def. Brian Bowles (c) via TKO (injury) – Round 2, 5:00
WEC Bantamweight Championship
- Joseph Benavidez def. Miguel Torres via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 2:57
- Javier Vazquez def. Jens Pulver via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 3:41
- LC Davis def. Deividas Taurosevicius via majority decision (29-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bart Palaszewski def. Karen Darabedyan via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:40
- Scott Jorgensen def. Chad George via (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:31
- Chad Mendes def. Erik Koch via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Anthony Pettis def. Danny Castillo via KO (head kick) – Round 1, 2:17
- Leonard Garcia vs. George Roop – split draw (29-27, 27-29, 28-28)
- Fredson Paixao def. Courtney Buck via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 2:39
- Ricardo Lamas def. Bendy Casimir via KO (knee) – Round 1, 3:43
Pictured: Dominick Cruz