Earlier in the week, Dana White said Conor McGregor could still be rebooked for UFC 200, but now the promotion’s president claims that window is closed…
McGregor has been pulled from his July 9th, rematch with Nate Diaz, and according to White and the UFC, it’s because the featherweight champ refused to attend mandatory promotional appearances. White appeared on “The Herd”‘ recently and said that if McGregor called him up, “after this interview”, the fighter would “probably” be reinstated on the card.
Well, on Wednesday night, White was a guest on “UFC Tonight”, and during the segment he was naturally asked if McGregor could be rebooked for UFC 200. White relayed the following (quote via FOX Sports 1 press release):
“Friday is not the first day of promotion. All the fighters are here [in Vegas] already. The commercial is over a million dollars. He’s already missing stuff and the window is gone.”
Now, if this is in fact all about promoting the card, you can understand why UFC officials would be peeved if McGregor refused to be part of this process. But, since no replacement bout has been announced, one could argue there’s still time to book another fight, and promote it right? If Georges St-Pierre gets signed for the card, you can bet a ton of loonies the UFC will come out with a bazillion ads regarding that fact.
Guess we’ll see how everything plays out.