Mac Danzig (pictured) and Melvin Guillard scored decision victories on the Spike-televised “UFC 109: Relentless” preliminary card, while Joey Beltran made his UFC debut on short notice and upset fellow newcomer Rolles Gracie to kick off the event’s unaired prelims at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
After getting tagged in the opening round, The Ultimate Fighter 6 winner Danzig recovered and focused on takedowns and ground control to top Justin Buchholz by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).
Ronnys Torres appeared on his way to a decision win over Guillard with numerous takedowns, but his lack of offense on the ground, coupled with Guillard’s superior standup and a late flurry of ground and pound, allowed Guillard to walk away with a controversial unanimous decision win (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).
After just agreeing to fight Gracie on Monday, Beltran rebounded from a lackluster opening round to down Gracie with a knee in the second round before finishing him off with a flurry of unanswered punches on the ground.
Rob Emerson, Phil Davis, and Chris Tuchscherer also earned decision wins on the UFC 109 preliminary card.
The UFC 109 preliminary card results were:
- Mac Danzig def. Justin Buchholz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Melvin Guillard def. Ronnys Torres via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Rob Emerson def. Phillipe Nover via unanimous decision
- Phil Davis def. Brian Stann via unanimous decision
- Chris Tuchscherer def. Tim Hague via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28)
- Joey Beltran def. Rolles Gracie via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:31
Stay tuned to MMAFrenzy.com for complete post-UFC 109 coverage.
Pictured: Mac Danzig