The Ultimate Fighter 5 winner Nate Diaz will likely make his welterweight debut at UFC 111 on March 27 in Newark, New Jersey, according to MMAjunkie, which reports that Rory Markham is the front-runner for the matchup.
Diaz (11-5), who last week announced that he plans to fight at both 155- and 170-pounds, began his UFC career with five-straight victories, but has since dropped 3 of his last 4 to Clay Guida, Joe Stevenson, and most-recently Gray Maynard earlier this month.
Markham (16-5), an IFL veteran, defeated Brodie Farber via first-round knockout in his UFC debut in July 2008, but suffered a first-round KO to Dan Hardy last February in his most-recent bout. He had been scheduled to return against Martin Kampmann at UFC 108, but an injury to his Achilles tendon forced him to withdraw from the fight in December.
The latest UFC 111 fight card features:
- Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Dan Hardy
UFC Heavyweight Championship
- Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir
Interim UFC Heavyweight Championship
- Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch
- Martin Kampmann vs. Ben Saunders
- Mark Bocek vs. Jim Miller
- Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Brown
- Thomas Drwal vs. Rousimar Palhares
- Fabricio Camoes vs. Kurt Pellegrino
- Nate Diaz vs. Rory Markham
- Ricardo Funch vs. Matthew Riddle
- Jared Hamman vs. Rodney Wallace
Pictured: Nate Diaz