For weeks now, Diaz has blasted Rafael dos Anjos and Donald Cerrone for not standing up to McGregor at the Go Big press conference. After he decisioned Michael Johnson on Saturday, Diaz called out McGregor, although you might have missed it due to all the bleeping…
Then, while talking to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, Diaz claimed that UFC matchmaker, Joe Silva, told him McGregor was next. The comments raised eyebrows throughout the MMA world, since it’s widely expected that McGregor will take on Frankie Edgar in early 2016.
“Do you really believe that Joe Silva told Nate Diaz that Conor McGregor “was next?”Rogan said. “Or is Nate Diaz just being a smart guy? I think Nate’s being smart. I think he’s talking s**t. I feel like there’s only one fight to make at featherweight. It’s 100 percent Frankie Edgar. Couldn’t be more emphatic about that, but as a fan I don’t mind this Nate Diaz fight [for McGregor].
It is pretty hard to imagine the UFC stepping over Edgar at this point, unless, however, McGregor had already dialed Silva and said he wanted to fight Diaz. Rogan proceeded to question whether the UFC can dictate to McGregor any more who he will fight next, and it’s certainly an interesting point.
While McGregor – Diaz would be huge, a title fight with Edgar will also be massive. McGregor has said he wants to pursue the lightweight belt and keep the featherweight one as well, so if that’s the case, there’s no avoiding Mr. Edgar. Will that fight be next though? That’s the big question.