twitter google

Jose Aldo Argues He’s Earned “Right” to Rematch, “My Career Speaks For Itself”

Kelsey Mowatt

jose aldo

Although UFC boss man Dana White and Conor McGregor seem to be looking elsewhere for the latter’s next opponent, Jose Aldo is ramping up his campaign for an immediate rematch.

Shortly after Aldo was bombed out by McGregor, the former featherweight champ called for a rematch with his rival. But, in the post-fight presser and follow up interviews, White reported that McGregor would either fight the winner of Saturday’s bout between Rafael dos Anjos and Donald Cerrone, or Frankie Edgar.

McGregor also repeated his desire to move up to 155, but also said he’d be up to fight Edgar in Dublin’s Croke Park. So, in other words, there wasn’t much talk about giving Aldo an immediate rematch.

Well, since then, Aldo has spoke to Combate, and the Brazilian star made it clear he believes he should be granted another crack at McGregor (quote via MMA Junkie.com):

“Soon thereafter, we spoke (with UFC President Dana White),” Aldo said. “But I think now is still too early to talk. Emotions are high. Of course, I want a rematch. I think I have that right. Not because I say so, but my career speaks for itself.”

Aldo isn’t the only one who’s saying this. In fact, Mr. Jon Jones has also argued that if Ronda Rousey’s getting a rematch with Holly Holm, Aldo deserves one with McGregor. After all, this a man who hadn’t lost in ten years and defended the featherweight title nine times…

But, as others have also noted, money typically dictates which fights are going to be made. The UFC likely feels that at this juncture, there’s more of that to be made if it goes with another opponent for McGregor…Still, stranger things have happened.

Follow MMAFrenzy

Search