A pair of submissions highlighted Sunday’s WEC 46 event in Sacramento, California, as Ben Henderson choked out Jamie Varner in the main event to become the undisputed WEC lightweight champion, while former featherweight champ Urijah Faber tapped Raphael Assuncao in the WEC 46 co-headliner.
Varner, the WEC’s lightweight champion who returned to action for the first time in nearly a year, dictated the pace of the fight early, but the interim title-holder Henderson rebounded in the third, quickly grabbing a guillotine choke midway through the frame that forced Varner to tap almost immediately.
Henderson improves to 11-1 with his ninth-straight win, and a rematch with Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone is likely next following his fourth-consecutive victory in the WEC, while Varner falls to 16-3, snapping a five-fight win streak.
In the co-main event, Faber and Assuncao went back-and-fouth over the opening two rounds before the former featherweight champ Faber got the upper hand in the third and forced Assuncao to tap to a rear naked choke.
The victory moves Faber to 23-3 and a showdown with featherweight champion Jose Aldo looms, while Assuncao falls to 14-2 after having his six-fight win streak halted.
Kamal Shalorus, former featherweight champ Mike Brown, and Deividas Taurosevicius were also victorious on the WEC 46 main card.
The complete results for WEC 46 were:
- Ben Henderson (c) def. Jamie Varner (c) via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 3, 2:41
WEC Lightweight Championship Unification
- Urijah Faber def. Raphael Assuncao via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 3, 3:49
- Kamal Shalorus def. Dave Jansen via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Mike Brown def. Anthony Morrison via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 1:54
- Deividas Taurosevicius def. Mackens Semerzier via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Charlie Valencia def. Akitoshi Tamura via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Wagnney Fabiano def. Clint Godfrey via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Mark Hominick def. Bryan Caraway via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 3:48
- Eddie Wineland def. George Roop via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Will Campuzano def. Coty Wheeler via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
Pictured: Ben Henderson