Yes, as the headline above relays, Jon Jones has officially been reinstated by the UFC. If you’re surprised by this, well, you shouldn’t be.
Ever since it was announced that Jones has avoided jail time, and received 18 months of probation, fans and pundits have been waiting to see when the promotion would welcome “Bones” back. As you surely know, Jones was arrested earlier this year, following a hit-and-run incident in New Mexico. The light-heavyweight star was stripped of the UFC’s championship and was indefinitely suspended.
Well, on Friday, the UFC posted the following statement regarding the 28 year-old fighter:
Following a review of the plea agreement reached by Jon Jones and officials in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and the judge’s decision, UFC announced today the formal reinstatement of Jones to the UFC roster. Effectively immediately, Jones is eligible to return to competition. As such, UFC expects Jones to meet all of the terms of his plea agreement, including mandatory community service, as a condition of his reinstatement.
UFC is currently discussing with Jones a potential date for his return to the Octagon.
“We’ve made it clear to Jon that this new opportunity to compete in UFC is a privilege and not a right, and that there are significant expectations we have regarding his conduct moving forward,” said UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta. “We’re happy to read and see reports that he has embraced the terms of his plea agreement and is using this experience to grow and develop as a person.”
“I am thankful to be able to do what I love once again and I look forward to proving myself as a champion in and outside of the Octagon,” Jones said.
So, there you have it. One would think an official date for Daniel Cormier – Jon Jones II will be announced sooner than later.