UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn dominated challenger Diego Sanchez from start to finish on Saturday in the main event of UFC 107 in Memphis, Tennessee, dropping Sanchez in the opening seconds of the fight and bludgeoning him with superior boxing throughout the bout before ultimately opening up a fight-ending gash in the fifth round to retain the 155-pound title.
In the UFC 107 co-headliner, heavyweight Frank Mir rebounded from a July loss to Brock Lesnar and got back into title contention by making quick work of Cheick Kongo, knocking him down in the opening minute then putting him to sleep with a guillotine choke just 72-seconds into the matchup.
Welterweight contender Jon Fitch remained in the mix at 170-pounds but went the distance for his sixth-straight fight, topping Mike Pierce with 29-28 scores across the board for his third-straight victory.
Kenny Florian forced Clay Guida to submit to a rear naked choke in the second round at UFC 107, bouncing back from an August loss to Penn to join a handful of contenders in the muddled lightweight division, while heavyweight Stefan Struve picked up his third-straight win by topping Paul Buentello by majority decision to kick of the event’s main card.
On the UFC 107 preliminary card, Alan Belcher, Matt Wiman, Johny Hendricks, Rousimar Palhares, DaMarques Johnson, and T.J. Grant were all victorious.
The complete results for UFC 107 were:
- BJ Penn (c) def. Diego Sanchez via TKO (cut) – Round 5, 2:37
UFC Lightweight Championship
- Frank Mir def. Cheick Kongo via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 1:12
- Jon Fitch def. Mike Pierce via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Kenny Florian def. Clay Guida via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 2:19
- Stefan Struve def. Paul Buentello via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28)
- Alan Belcher def. Wilson Gouveia via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:03
- Matt Wiman def. Shane Nelson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Johny Hendricks def. Ricardo Funch via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-25)
- Rousimar Palhares def. Lucio Linhares via submission (heel hook) – Round 2, 3:21
- DaMarques Johnson def. Edgar Garcia via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 4:03
- T.J. Grant def. Kevin Burns via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:57
Pictured: BJ Penn