On Monday, the NSAC prompted a collective gasp throughout the MMA world by suspending Diaz for five years, following his positive test for marijuana earlier this year. Diaz has tested positive for weed now on three separate occasions, but no one predicted he’d be handed what’s essentially a lifetime ban for a 32 year-old fighter.
Rousey’s in Australia today to promote her November 15th, UFC 193 headliner with Holly Holm. At a press conference for the upcoming card, the bantamweight champ had this to say about Diaz’s suspension (quote via MMA Junkie.com):
“It’s so unfair if one person tests for steroids that could actually really hurt a person and the other person smokes a plant that makes them happy and he gets suspended for five years, whereas the guy that could hurt someone gets a slap on the wrist,” Rousey said. “It’s not fair. It’s not fair at all. It doesn’t make me a bad person for saying it, it just – I can’t believe it’s not being said more. I think they really should free Nick Diaz, but it’s not (UFC President) Dana (White’s) decision either.
“I don’t think marijuana should be part of the conversation at all. I think it’s an invasion of privacy for them to test for it, and they have no right.”
Rousey certainly isn’t alone in this opinion. Now it will be interesting to see whether and or how the NSAC responds to the outcry. Diaz’s legal team plans to appeal the decision, but even if that’s successful, two years or so could by without seeing the outspoken fighter compete.
The former Strikeforce champ returned to action this past January and lost via unanimous decision to Anderson Silva at UFC 183. Silva tested positive for PEDs, however, and the bout was declared a no contest. The former middleweight champ is eligible to return to the cage next January.
If his appeal isn’t successful, then Diaz will be 37 before he can fight again.