Leites rebounded from a two fight losing streak that got him cut from the UFC by defeating Lister in what turned out to be a lackluster affair. Leites was the more aggressive fighter in the contest, and landed many more strikes standing, and on the ground. Ironically Lister seemed to have the same gameplan against Leites that Leites tried to utilize against Anderson Silva.
In the co-main event of the evening Jason MacDonald earned a controversial split decision over Solomon Hutcherson. The decision was not controversial in that the fight was close, but rather the ringside judges initially miscalculated the scores and the fight was announced as a draw, but between fights their error was corrected. MacDonald controlled most of the fight, and attempted several different submissions including arm triangles, triangles, rear naked chokes, and arm bars to earn the victory.
Earlier in the evening Ryan Jimmo edged Emanuel Lewis in a contest that resembled Brandon Vera vs. Randy Couture, only with more strikes, Bryan Baker defeated Art Santore in an exciting fight, that saw Santore’s face well bloodied on several occasions, and Dwayne Lewis stopped Marvin Eastman with a solid upper cut just before the first round bell, but threw several more punches to the downed Eastman even after the referee intervened.
Full results for MFC 23 were:
- Thales Leites def. Dean Lister via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jason MacDonald def. Solomon Hutcherson via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)
- Ryan Jimmo def. Emanuel Newton via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bryan Baker def. Art Santore via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Dwayne Lewis def. Marvin Eastman via KO (punch) — 4:58 Round 1
- Jesse Juarez def. Joe Christopher via Unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Nick Penner def. Ryan Fortin via submission (rear naked choke) — 3:31 Round 2
- Ryan Machan def. Kajan Johnson via submission (rear naked choke) — 3:30 Round 1
- Billy Hua def. Kenny Hamilton via TKO (punches) — 0:20 Round 2
Pictured: Thales Leites