Although Conor McGregor scored his biggest win to date at UFC 189, and is the interim featherweight champ, Jose Aldo still believes he’ll end the meteoric rise of “Notorious”.
McGregor took out Chad Mendes in the second round on Saturday night, and in doing so, ensured he’ll still face the renowned champion. The two were supposed to fight on July 11th, but a rib injury forced Aldo to withdraw. It was devastating setback for the featherweight, considering how much hype and buzz was tied to Aldo-McGregor, due to a huge marketing campaign from the UFC.
Well, Aldo recently appeared on the Brazilian radio show Rock Bola , and of course, he was asked about his rival, McGregor. Here is some of what the Nova Uniao fighter had to say (quote via MMA Fighting.com):
“We will run through him no matter when the fight happens, but his time will come,” Aldo said. “When it does, you can be sure we will smash him.”
Now that’s how you make the McGregor haters grin right? It would be fascinating to hear what Aldo really thought of McGregor’s performance on Saturday, and whether the champion is more confident now, or less, about his chances. McGregor showed he can take heavy shots, as well as give them out, but Mendes did win the grappling exchanges.
So far, there’s been no tentative dates thrown out by the UFC, in terms of when the massive fight will take place. It was recently announced that McGregor is going to coach opposite of Urijah Faber on TUF 22, and that the show will premier on September 9th. So, one would think a fall date is likely?
Aldo was also asked about his ongoing recover, and his training, and here is what he had to say:
“I’m still recovering, should be back to training in two weeks,” he said. “I’ll do more exams. As soon as the doctor clears me, I’ll be back to training.”
Hopefully, knock on wood, Aldo can stay healthy for the remainder of the year. The 28 year-old is coming off a unanimous decision win over Mendes in December, which marked the second time he’s defeated the Team Alpha Male fighter.