If after hearing that Jose Aldo has withdrawn from UFC 189, you thought Conor McGregor would pass on blasting the featherweight champ for doing so, well, you haven’t been paying close attention.
On Tuesday, the UFC announced what many feared was inevitable, that Aldo has dropped out of a July 11th scrap with McGregor, due to the rib injury he incurred last week. The decision has received mix reviews throughout the MMA world, but if you understand anything about McGregor, then you already know what side he’s landed on.
The brash fighter recently appeared on a media call to promote his new bout with Chad Mendes, and during it, McGregor had this to say about Aldo (quotes via MMA Junkie.com):
“I don’t know whether he’ll be back,” McGregor said. “Like I said, he’s gone running, and I don’t think he’ll be back.
“If a man pussies out, and he’s pussied out time and time again, (then he should be stripped). He’s pulled out of contests time and time again. I mean, the medical reports state he is fit to fight, so there’s no more questions. If you’re fit to fight and you’re not going to fight, the belt rightfully should be stripped, and this (should be) for the regular featherweight belt.”
Now, Aldo fans would likely point out here that there are conflicting opinions on how serious the champ’s injury is. According to Aldo’s coach, Andre Pederneiras, Brazilian physicians believe the fighter’s ribs are fractured, while American doctors say they’re just bruised (the UFC reported the latter opinion).
Of course, some will say Aldo should fight, fractured ribs or not. But, when you consider how much money he’s passing up by dropping out, chances are the injury is significant. If Aldo had taken the bout, and lost, then he would have had a pretty compelling reason to demand an immediate rematch and double up on a big, big payday.
All this aside, now it remains to be seen if Mendes can derail McGregor’s momentum, and lock up a third meeting with Aldo.