Travis Lutter edged hometown favorite Jason MacDonald on Friday in the main event of MFC 22, earning a unanimous decision win in the matchup of middleweight UFC veterans that capped off the HDNet-televised event at the River Cree Resort and Casino in Edmonton, Canada.
Lutter, the winner of Ultimate Fighter 4, returned to action for the first time since being cut by the UFC last spring and used takedowns and ground control to dominate the first two rounds, nabbing mount and nearly finishing the bout in both frames with rear naked chokes.
MacDonald, who got his UFC walking papers in April, came back strongly in the third, pinning Lutter in the corner of the ring and unloading with ground and pound, but with MacDonald unable to score a finish or a 10-8 round, Lutter was declared the winner with unanimous 29-28 scores.
Lightweight champ Antonio McKee topped Carlo Prater by unanimous decision in a three-round, non-title co-main event after Prater failed to make weight on Thursday for the championship bout. McKee used superior wrestling to dominate the WEC veteran Prater and earn the unanimous decision win.
In other notable action, John Alessio stopped Luigi Fioravanti with strikes in the third, Mike Nickels submitted David Heath in the third after an exciting slugfest, Ryan Jimmo edged Marvin Eastman by split decision, and Pete Spratt scored a second-round knockout of Nathan Gunn.
The complete results for MFC 22 were:
- Travis Lutter def. Jason MacDonald via unanimous decision
- Antonio McKee def. Carlo Prater via unanimous decision
- John Alessio def. Luigi Fioravanti via TKO (strikes) — Round 3, 1:34
- Mike Nickels def. David Heath via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 3, 4:02
- Ryan Jimmo def. Marvin Eastmanvia split decision
- Pete Spratt def. Nathan Gunn via KO (punch) — Round 2, 4:19
- Dwayne Lewis def. Jared Kilkenny via TKO (strikes) — Round 1, 3:31
- Jason Heit def. Paapa Inkumusah via TKO (strikes) — Round 2, 4:59
- Joe Christopher def. Andrew Buckland via submission (guillotine choke) — Round 1, 1:54
- Nick Hryunchyshyn def. Jesse MacDougall via TKO (strikes) — Round 2, 4:29