In the UFC 103 headlining bout between former UFC champions Rich Franklin and Vitor Belfort, Belfort made good on his return to the UFC. The Brazilian rocked Franklin with a right, then dropped him with a left before forcing Yves Lavigne to call a stop to the contest with more punches to the downed Franklin.
In the evening’s co-main event Junior dos Santos battered the legend Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic through out the first two rounds of the fight. Filipovic looked his best in the first round of the fight, but as the fight wore on dos Santos took over. In the third round, it was more of the same, and eventually dos Santos forced Filipovic verbally submit after landing a combination of knees and punches to his head.
UFC debutant Paul Daley made good on his debut, upsetting UFC veteran Martin Kampmann with a first round TKO. With the TKO loss for Kampann, any title hopes he had coming into the bout have been spoiled. Daley’s victory over Kampmann gives him a strong injection into the UFC’s welterweight division.
In Frank Trigg’s return to the UFC, Josh Koscheck played spoiler and ended his night in the first round with a series of strikes, beginning on the feet, and then finishing him on the ground.
Both bouts on the SpikeTV televised portion of the card ended early. In the first bout Drew McFedries did not look his usual self, and eventually succumbed to a rear naked choke at 1:03 of the second round. In the second of the scheduled SpikeTV bouts, Efrain Escudero ended Cole Miller’s night early, with a first round technical knock out, 3:30 in.
The official results for UFC 103 were:
- Vitor Belfort def. Rich Franklin via KO — 3:02 Round 1
- Junior Dos Santos def. Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic via verbal submission (strikes) — 2:00 Round 3
- Paul Daley def. Martin Kampmann via TKO — 2:31 Round 1
- Josh Koscheck def. Frank Trigg via TKO — 1:25 Round 1
- Tyson Griffin def. Hermes Franca via KO — 3:26 Round 2
- Efrain Escudero def. Cole Miller via TKO — 3:36 Round 1
- Tomasz Drwal def. Drew McFedries via submission (rear naked choke) — 1:03 Round 2
- Jim Miller def. Steve Lopez via TKO (shoulder injury) — 0:48 Round 2
- Nick Lentz def. Rafaello Oliveira via unanimous decision — 29-28 (2x), 30-27
- Rick Story def. Brian Foster via submission (arm triangle) — 1:09 Round 2
- Eliot Marshall def. Jason Brilz via split decision — 30-27 (2x), 27-30
- Vladimir Matyushenko def. Igor Pokrajac via unanimous decision — all three judges scored the bout 30-27
- Rafael dos Anjos def. Rob Emerson via unanimous decision — all three judges scored the bout 30-27