For some time now, there’s been talk that the UFC is going to book Nurmagomedov-Cerrone for the coming months, since Pettis will face Rafael dos Anjos on March 14th. Cerrone and Nurmagomedov were expected to fight last year, but the latter went down with a knee injury.
Recently “The Eagle” spoke to MMA Fighting.com about his plans for 2015, and Nurmagomedov relayed the following:
“This is my plan,” Nurmagomedov said. “I want, in this year, three fights — Cerrone, after that I fight for the belt and after that I defend the belt.”
The match-up hasn’t been formally announced yet, but recently it was reported that the UFC is looking to promote Cerrone-Nurmagomedov on Memorial Day Weekend in May.
“I told them this is a very good matchup,” Nurmagomedov said, while discussing Cerrone. “I’m No. 2, he’s No. 3. Who wins gets a title shot.”
The fight certainly makes sense as the 22-0 fighter noted, and it will be interesting to see if Cerrone can battle through Nurmagomedov’s vaunted grappling game. So far in the UFC, six men have been unable to do so, and that list includes the #1 ranked contender, dos Anjos.
So, really, it seems like any day now the bout will be announced, as Nurmagomedov recently tweeted the following (if you don’t know, Cerrone is a beer enthusiast and is sponsored by Budweiser):
— khabib nurmagomedov (@TeamKhabib) February 15, 2015