After puzzled looks were prompted last week, with the news that the UFC has approached the California Commission about hosting Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort there, “The Phenom” has confirmed his title shot is indeed planned for Los Angeles.
A few days ago, it was revealed that the Nevada State Athletic Commission has given California the a okay, to host Weidman-Belfort. Even though they instructed the latter to hold his next fight in their state earlier this year, as part of his licensing conditions.
The news also raised eyebrows because Nevada authorities apparently haven’t drug tested Belfort yet… It should also be noted that the California Commission has said the former TRT user will be tested several times in the coming months.
Originally Belfort and Weidman were scheduled to throw down at UFC 181 on December 6th, but the middleweight champ had to withdraw due to an injured hand.
At any rate, Belfort attended UFC 179 this past weekend, and confirmed to the the media the following about his bout with Weidman (quote via MMA Fighting.com):
“On Feb. 28, I will be stepping inside the cage and winning this belt.” Belfort said. “It’s going to be good, right after Carnival.
“Los Angeles is a great place, the first place I lived when I moved to the United States,” he furthered. “It was the right place. I’m really happy with this news.”
Belfort hasn’t fought now since last November, when he stopped Dan Henderson for his third straight win. Prior to facing “Hendo”, Belfort also took out Luke Rockhold and Michael Bisping. The only men to defeat him in his last 10 fights are former middleweight champ Anderson Silva, and reigning light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones.
As a result, the 37 year-old has been promised another crack at the belt.