twitter google

Thomson May Be Forced To Withdraw From Title Defense (Updated)

Josh Thomson
Strikeforce’s August 15 event, “Carano vs. Cyborg” has already seen its fair share of line up changes, with fighters withdrawing from bouts, and other fights being added to the card. Unfortunately that may not yet be over with, as Josh Thomson may be forced to withdraw from his scheduled lightweight title defense against Gilbert Melendez. The potential withdrawal was discussed when Thomson appeared on MMAJunkie‘s radio program.

“I broke it right at the ankle, so I had to have some plates put in with some screws,” Thomson said. “It was a double break in the fibia. I had a break in the lower part of the bone and a break in the upper part of the bone. I got eight screws and a plate put in.

“It was kind of a nasty break. The good thing is it wasn’t a jagged break. There was no compound fracture.”

Now nearly four months later, Thomson admitted he’s not yet 100 percent.

“I guess you could say that two weeks ago I was on crutches,” Thomson said.

Thomson admitted he was considering his options, one of which included withdrawing from the contest.

“I’m still talking right now with my cornermen and my management about moving the fight back to October or me just not fighting [Melendez],” Thomson said. “But that doesn’t mean I’m not taking this fight serious. I’m doing what I can to win this fight. That’s the bottom line.”

Thomson also admitted he hasn’t been able to follow his usual training routine while his leg continues to heal.

“It’s moving right along, I guess you could say,” Thomson said. “I’ve decided to go with the non-training method for this fight – kind of play it by ear and see what happens. There’s a lot of things I couldn’t do. I’m not training like I was able to for the first fight, and we’re going to see what happens.”

Thomson gained the Strikeforce lightweight belt by defeating Melendez via unanimous decision in June of 2008. He has yet to defend the belt, however. Thomson’s last fight was against Ashe Bowman in a non-title fight at “Stikeforce: At The Mansion II”, which he won via first round TKO. He was then slated to make his first title defense against Melendez earlier this year, but was forced to withdraw when he first sustained the injury that is jeopardizing the currently scheduled match up.

It is not yet clear if Thomson has made his struggles known to Strikeforce, or if they are seeking possible a replacement opponent for Melendez at this time. Stay tuned to to follow this story as it develops.

Update 11:28 AM July 28, 1009: Thomson later went on the popular MMA forum, The UnderGround and changed his story on the possibility of withdrawing from the bout.

Dude, Im fighting unless something happens to my big toe again. LOL If ya got anything from my dam radio interview is was that im gonna nut up an fight this fight cuz I dont know a fighter who hasnt fought without an injury. I wasnt a 100% the 1st time an I wont be this time but sometimes you just have to have a lil faith in God an myself to pull me through. Enough said, Im fighting an thats the end of this post!

Pictured: Josh Thomson

Follow MMAFrenzy