Marius Zaromskis won the DREAM welterweight grand prix and became the promotion’s first-ever 76kg champion on Sunday by upsetting Hayato “Mach” Sakurai and Jason High with back-to-back knockouts at DREAM 10 in Saitama, Japan.
After sending Sakurai to the canvas with a head kick and finishing him off with punches in the semis, Zaromskis used another head kick, this time early in the first-round, to knock off High and finish his surprising run by winning the tournament.
The Cage Rage veteran Zaromskis improves to 11-2 with 4-straight victories following his DREAM 10 wins, while High, who defeated Andre Galvao to advance to the finals, falls to 8-2 and Sakurai drops to 35-9-2.
In other DREAM 10 action, Shinya Aoki topped Vitor Ribeiro by unanimous decision in a lightweight bout that failed to live up to expectations, TUF 7 cast member Jesse Taylor defeated Dong Sik Yoon, who was unable to continue due to a left ankle injury, and former WEC champ Paulo Filho submitted kickboxer Melvin Manhoef in the opening round of their middleweight matchup.
The official results for DREAM 10 were:
- Marius Zaromskis def. Jason High via knockout (kick) – Round 1
- Shinya Aoki def. Vitor Ribeiro via unanimous decision
- Jesse Taylor def. Dong Sik Yoon via TKO (injury) – Round 1
- Paulo Filho def. Melvin Manhoef via submission (armbar) – Round 1
- Katsunori Kikuno def. Andre “Dida” Amade via TKO (punches) – Round 1
- Jason High def. Andre Galvao via split decision*
- Marius Zaromskis def. Hayato “Mach” Sakurai via TKO (strikes) – Round 1*
- Tarec Saffiedine def. Seichi Ikemoto via unanimous decision+
* Welterweight grand prix semifinals
+ Welterweight grandprix reserve bout
[Pictured: Marius Zaromskis]