Earlier on Friday, it was reported Nick Diaz was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence last weekend, and now it looks like the UFC star incurred similar charges last year.
According to a report from the Lodi-News Sentinel, the welterweight was arrested on September 6th, on suspicion of DUI, obstructing a police officer, destruction of evidence and driving with a suspended license. Lodi police told FOX Sports.com that Diaz was given the option of a blood test or a breathalyzer, and the fighter opted for the latter. Authorities claim, however, that Diaz attempted to vomit before he took the test.
The aforementioned report also says that Diaz was arrested on November 20th of last year, and was charged with DUI, DUI with an alcohol or drug level above .08 and unsafe speed for prevailing conditions. The renowned fighter also apparently missed several court dates.
In a prepared statement from the UFC, the promotion had this to say about the alleged incidents:
“We are aware of the situation and are in the process of gathering the facts. We understand that there is a legal process that will now take place and that Nick Diaz will have the opportunity to address the situation in the near future.”
Diaz’s agent, Lloyd Pierson, told FOX Sports:
“Nick and I have discussed the current charges. He is very sorry he has disappointed his fans, friends and family. Nick wants to take the opportunity to thank all his fans who have immediately reached out to him for unconditional support.”
The California resident is reportedly set to appear in court on September 25th, in regards to the 2013 charges.
The 31 year-old Diaz is scheduled to fight Anderson Silva at UFC 183 on January 31st, 2015.
The outspoken fighter hasn’t fought since March, 2013, when he was decisioned by former champ Georges St-Pierre. Prior to that, in February, 2012, Diaz lost by UD to Carlos Condit.