If you had completely written off Thiago Silva’s UFC run earlier this year, you certainly weren’t the only one, but the promotion has confirmed that the light-heavyweight is in fact returning to the Octagon.
The news comes not long after it was revealed that authorities in Florida, have dropped all the charges that Silva was facing, following an alleged incident earlier this year. Silva had been accused of threatening his wife and jiu-jitsu star Pablo Popovitch with a gun, but according to TMZ, the fighter’s wife did not cooperate with prosecutors.
It should also be noted that Silva’s lawyer said the fighter’s maintained his innocence since day one.
After Silva was initially charged the UFC released the veteran fighter, but on Friday, the promotion confirmed his return. In the official statement, UFC boss man Dana White was quoted saying:
“When this thing went down, I said he’d never fight in the UFC again. When I watched it unfold on TV and heard of the charges, it didn’t look good for Thiago Silva,” White said. “But he was acquitted of all charges. How do you not let the guy fight again?”
“He went through the legal process and came out of it untainted,” White furthered. “He deserves to be able to make a living again. He’s back under contract.”
So, whether you agree with the promotion’s decision, arguably the UFC’s scariest looking dude is headed back to the Octagon.
While it remains to be seen when the 31 year-old fighter will make his return, Silva is coming off back-to-back wins over Matt Hamill and Rafael Cavalcante. Silva’s only official loss in his last 5 bouts came against number one contender Alex Gustafsson.
The Blackzilians’ fighter has gone 7-3, with 2 no contests, in the UFC. After going 4-0 to begin his time with the promotion, Silva was KO’d in jaw dropping fashion by Lyoto Machida in January, 2009.
The only other man to defeat Silva in the Octagon, aside from the aforementioned Gustafsson, is Rashad Evans. So, in other words, his losses have come against pretty elite company.