Joey Villasenor edged Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos via split decision in the Strikeforce Challengers main event on Friday in Kent, Washington, but a “Fight of the Year” candidate between Jorge Gurgel and Conor Huen stole the show, as Gurgel topped Huen by unanimous decision in a standup brawl.
Tim Kennedy, Sarah Kaufman, and Luke Rockhold were also victorious on the Showtime-televised main card.
The event’s official results were:
- Joey Villasenor def. Evangelista Cyborg via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)
- Tim Kennedy def. Nick Thompson via submission (strikes) — Round 2, 2:37
- Jorge Gurgel def. Conor Heun via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Sarah Kaufman def. Shayna Baszler via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Luke Rockhold def. Corey Devela via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 1, 0:30
- Dennis Hallman def. Justin Davis via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 1, 0:20
- Brian Caraway def. Alex Zuniga via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Lyle Beerbohm def. Duane Ludwig via submission (schoolyard choke) — Round 1, 4:27
- Landon Showalter def. George Stork via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Len Bentley def. Marques Daniels via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Steve Hadsel def. Taylor Roberts via knockout (punches) — Round 1, 0:17
[Pictured: Jorge Gurel (left) and Conor Huen]